Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Lake Geneva CX: Muddy Fun

As I was driving to the race in Lake Geneva it was pouring rain so I was excited. Racing in the mud is fun. Especially when it isn't too cold. While I was excited, however, I couldn't help but think to myself that I had only brought a bike with disc brakes. Disc brakes don't do real well in extended wet, muddy, sandy, conditions. The pads wear down, and with mechanical brakes you quickly lose the ability to brake. But that was the date I brung to the dance.

My warm-up consisted of doing a half-lap right before the race started. I wasn't too worried about that though, since mud races are usually about skills over pure high speed intensity. The officials did call-ups according to last week's race so I was in the front row at the start. We got the usual instructions, the whistle blew, and we were off. I must have good reactions to the whistle because once again I found myself in front. I self-selected and backed off a bit before the first corner and was probably 5th'ish into the hole shot. (Perhaps I shouldn't count myself out so soon, and if I get a good start I should go with it.)

After the first lap of trading spots with a few guys and going back and forth with them, I was riding pretty well and not too far behind Maciej. We are all having fun and enjoying the mud. Someone would go down or make a nice move and there was usually some nice commentary from a nearby racer. I was definitely taking the corners faster than the guys I was around and I was feeling strong, but my brakes were already going.

After two laps it was clear that my brakes were going to be a problem. I couldn't come into the corners as fast as I had been, and I was looking for new lines. When your braking action changes constantly it is really difficult to judge technical stuff. I believe Kate described my corning as "dainty" at this point. I was wondering if I could even finish the race, but it was too much fun to stop.

For a few laps I was managing okay. Guys were closing in, especially on the gravel climb, which I could have ridden smarter (For some reason I was taking the gravel climb slow. I'm not sure why and it was definitely a weak spot in my race overall. The last two laps I actually stood up and gave it some power). I tried to hold off the guys gaining time on me, but in doing so I went down twice. Which led to them catching me pretty quickly. I lost about six spots in the last lap and a half. I finished 11th.
 

After the race I discovered that I had zero braking power in the rear. None. In the front, with the lever mashed into the bar, I could slow the wheel, but there wasn't any stopping power. So all in all, when you think about it, that's a pretty good race. I finished by navigating a very difficult course without brakes.

Now, you probably think that since it was raining there wasn't a Clutch Corner. Well, I found some shelter for my boombox, so there was. The disc will be awarded to Andy H. this week for his spectacular crash. I didn't witness it myself but I done heard tale that he slid on his back about thirty feet like he was one a slip and slide. Here are the songs from this week:
  1. Ship Of Gold: Full Fathom Five
  2. Guild of Mute Assassins: Slow Hole to China: Rare & Rereleased
  3. Electric Worry: Full Fathom Five
  4. The Great Outdoors!: Pure Rock Fury                    
  5. Who Wants to Rock?: Jam Room              
  6. Juggernaut: Pitchfork & Lost Needles    
  7. 12 Ounce Epiloque: Transnational Speedway League: Anthems, Anecdotes & Undeniable Truths       
  8. The Mob Goes Wild: Heard It All Before - Live At The Hifi Bar                      
  9. Immortal: Live At The Googolplex           
  10. The Dragonfly: The Elephant Riders        
  11. The Mob Goes Wild: Blast Tyrant             
  12. Immortal: Pure Rock Fury                            
  13. White's Ferry: Heard It All Before - Live At The Hifi Bar   
  14. American Sleep: Pure Rock Fury
  15. Green Buckets: The Elephant Riders
  16. Careful With That Mic...: Pure Rock Fury               
  17. I Have The Body Of John Wilkes Booth: Clutch   



2 comments:

  1. About the brakes maybe it is the brand or pads you are using. I use mechanicals on a SS mtb I raced for 2 years. The only time I had problems was at Sunburst because of the chemical they use to help make the snow there.
    Was using Hayes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had it happen with hydraulics too(albeit taking much longer because they self correct). The type of pad can make a difference, organic versus metallic, but in lots of constant water, mud, and sand, they all wear down quickly. Whenever you hear the constant rub of water and grime on the rotor you know you are in trouble.
      I've had the same pads last 2 years of mtbing as well, but that's in all dry conditions.

      Delete