Monday, November 9, 2009

Estabrook cx is s'pozed to be flat and straight

That is what I was told at least. Gear big because Estabrook is a hi-speed race. Well, the organizers of the race switched it up this year apparently. It was a twisty, loopdy-loo course with a total of 5 20 inch barriers with long straights in between the techy-ness. Now, don't get me wrong, I was happily surprised with how much fun the course was.

And it was still pretty hi-speed covering 16 miles in about 55 minutes. Which also meant 11 laps. So don't expect a lap by lap retelling of the race.

I was determined to go for it at the start, but not determined enough. I did better than I have in the past races but still found myself at the end of a 10 person train. The lead group first gaped us a 1/4 mile in and I had my work cut for me. It became clear quickly to me that I was going to make up ground on the group I was in during the techy stuff and the barriers. At the same time, I got caught behind some fellows in the long twisty trees, allowing a larger gap to form from the leaders and the other chasers.

The first lap I made up 3 spots on the second set of barriers by just running past guys all the way through their mounts.Over the next 5 or 6 laps I slowly caught guys, rode with them, and moved on. Some guys were riding this hill. Kudos to them because of the 12 inch log at the bottom. I was running it.I was able to keep the hammer down most of the race and I could see 2nd and 3rd in front of me at the same place every time. That is until I got caught up on my saddle during a mount and lost another 2 or 3 seconds.

The park was busy which made it neat, but also dangerous. Going over 20mph I came up on this little girl just as she got off the path. It was a blindish corner and she was oblivious to me until I said something.
All in all, it was a lot of fun and a great day. Reconcile was giving away drinks and doughnuts almost the whole day. It was the first cx experience for most of them and I think they enjoyed it.

I came in 4th after working my way up all day. That was my second goal (top 5 in the 30+ open) for the cx season. So now I need a new one for the last two races: stay with the lead group from the start.

*Thank my wife for more photos here

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to hear moar about this 10-person train. Do you think it would be moar accurate to refer to it as a "Man Train?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I purposely avoided that language specifically thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete