Sunday, November 1, 2009

Is that thing real?

"Is that thing real?" That's what a I heard from more than a few folks at the costume cx race. My Bronson-stache was kicking with some 'Just for Men: Real Black' and it entranced many a person, except for my wife. She was none too happy with it. I thought it looked good, don't you think so? "No dice"
On to the races. This is the first time I have doubled up in a long time. But I wanted to race with the other guys from the team. That, and I thought it might give me some points to cat up. All I do is race open events so when I want to do a category race, it's always the entry level. I by no means thought I would destroy the 4's. You never know who will show up, and there are a lot of guys like me out there.

In the 4 race after a 10 minute warm-up I found myself at least 20 or 30 back at the start. It was hard to tell in the 90 man mass. Then a guy went down on the first downhill--part of the excitement of the entry level race. That's where I lost Brandon, Eric, and Ian. After that I spent half a lap passing people. Which meant I was in the leaves, off the beaten path a lot. I even found a few wheel-sized potholes!

After a lap and a half I found myself in 5th. Lonely and isolated. I could see Brandon and a guy working to catch me. And I could see the front 4. Working together like cool kids who didn't want me to sit at their table. I had to decide whether to work really hard to catch them, and maybe skip my second race. Or just hold on to where I was. I chose the later. Which meant 2 laps by myself in the wind, which also meant still rethinking the second race. But my friends all harassed me into it. I'm glad they did.

The 30+ masters open is almost twice as long as the 4 race and it rides with the PRO,1,2's. So I thought I'll just see what I have left and if I get lapped so be it. I took my customary place at the start--last.

With my lazy start I still beat one guy off the line. He was just out for some cx fun. It took me a little longer to catch the next couple of fellows as they went out fast. I was also fighting a quitter knee warmer for 1 and a half laps. On a flat I just pulled it off. But I was feeling good and the chase fueled me. After two laps I slowly came up on two more. I caught, passed, and left them on the run-up. After 2 more laps I slowly came up on two more guys racing each other. They were far off, but I could see the pain setting in by their body language. I had a goal and pressed forward attacking everything. I was even starting to look like a mountain biker and actually jumping the coffin barrier. I felt really good and there was a lot of support for me (at one point Travis popped out of the bushes and chased me with a 15 foot tree!).

With 3 laps left I caught one of them and left him in the wind on the uphill to the straightaway start/finish. With 1 lap left I could see the PRO,1,2 winner catching me. But I could also see more guys in my race ahead of me. On the last run-up I caught and passed my last goal racer. I laid it down. I couldn't let him be close enough to draft in the final straightaway. I held him off for one of the most fun 8th places I have ever had!

I learned that I need to break my 6hr mtb race mentality at the start of cx races. I actually need to go for the hole shot because I can't make it up over hours of riding. I am working too hard by myself. Easier said than done.

One 2009 cx goal accomplished: don't get lapped. Now for number two: top 5 in the 30 masters+ open.

*for a ton more race photos,

3 comments:

  1. When passing people did you ask anyone if they'd like to meet Wildey?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much to my disgust people did not seem to understand the 70's Bronson costume. Otherwise there would have been many a quote.

    ReplyDelete