Monday, December 21, 2009

River Valley Mountain

My first installment of East Side riding/training is the River Valley Mountain. I dubbed it this because it rises from the Milwaukee River up to one of the highest elevations in the area on top of an old reservoir. Now keep in mind that I am not good at estimating elevation and I exaggerate things to make myself seem cooler/tougher/more in shape, but I would have to say that from bottom to top is a 1,200 foot gain in elevation. I may be off by around 700 feet, give or take.
This first shot is from the top looking down about halfway. It was taken with my phone, so it is hard to see but you can see a white soccer goal just past the snow on the left. That is pretty close to where this second photo was taken.
This part is real steep, you can kind of tell by how small the car looks at the bottom.

These were taken today, notice how we have almost no snow on the East Side! We have ice on trails and sidewalks, that is about it. In fact, right now the River Valley Mountain is far too soft to ride up. Even when taking extreme angles switching back and forth up the hill. Which is one of my favorite repeat workouts. It starts the Hills of Doom ride which contributed to my over-training mid to late summer this year. But that is a different workout.

Being too soft to ride. I have been running straight up it and then meandering back down around to the bottom and then up again. It is one of those workouts you don't really feel until a few hours later when you get up from sitting down for a while.

Anyone care to share what their favorite hill is to run/ride? I think one caveat is that it should be reachable running or riding from your front door. River Valley Mountain is real close for me. You can actually see our condo across the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment