Monday, December 28, 2009

Winter Riding

Last year I decided that I would take up cross country skiing for some winter fun and to work out. I spent about 2 months trying to track down boots that would fit my feet. Apparently, my feet are already ski-sized according to most cross country ski boot manufacturers. I have since given up on the idea. However, I have not given up on winter fun and working out. Therefore, I am a proponent of winter biking.

This year we hadn't gotten any snow on the East Side until the week of Christmas, so my winter ride of choice had been going out after dark for a couple of hours on Sunday nights. The winter ride after dark makes familiar road routes seem totally new.

Once we got some real snow though, it was time to hit the River trail. The snow on the 24th was very wet and made some parts almost easy while anything uphill was a real challenge. It took me almost an hour longer than usual to do the full loop. The conditions change daily from here on out on the River trail, so it will be entertaining the rest of the winter.


On Saturday night I combined the night ride with the snow ride and followed the lake front south. It was lightly snowing the whole time and there were actually a lot of people on the trails, and I saw 2 other sets of tire tracks. Which means I'm not crazy to be out there. Check out this blurry night picture taken from the beach in South Milwaukee. Normally, downtown would be visible from here but at that time only the port could be seen.

It has taken me a while to figure out what to wear in what conditions, but once I got that figured out winter riding has been a blast. It makes those days on the rollers much more bearable. If anyone cares I can let them know what I do for winter gear. I can ride comfortably for about 3 hours in temps in the low teens.

No comments:

Post a Comment