Monday, October 19, 2009

What a Blast!

Photo Courtesy of MTB girl Brittany
I wasn't planning on racing mtb's this past weekend as I am in full cx training mode, but when I got the skinny on the Blaster I couldn't pass up the opportunity. The location of the race worked out great and I was only a half hour from my nephew's birthday party happening later that day. So I was able to make it work.
I didn't bring the Big Unit out because I didn't want to get it all muddy again, that and it is still geared 36x16 and I didn't feel like messin' with it. So I rode the Kula 2-9 rigid. I haven't race rigid for over a year and it showed on this sweet techy course.
Sans and I were in the 3 lap race and about a mile in Sans jam-jobbed me at the top of a climb. I couldn't get my right foot out in time and I fell backwards and I wrapped my back around a tree. I wasn't quite the same after that, but hey I wasn't really "racing" as much as riding fast in a group anyhow. I could also feel the week's training and thought it better to take it easy. The course was too much fun to not enjoy.
And enjoy it I did. I found a little group to ride with and I was settling in nicely when a I got a puncture. Now, I brought a tube and a charger, but no CO2. Game over after 1 1/2 laps. I walked out of the course thinking "Well, this gives me more time to hang out before I have to get going." So I ate and enjoyed the fine selection of beers.
Once back at the car I found the culprit for the puncture. It was a thorn the size of my pinky. I tried to save it but I dropped it in some very long grass. I haven't fixed the tire yet, I hope I don't need to boot it, the thing is practically unused.
This is going on the calendar as a must ride next year. Great trails and an even better community atmosphere.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, serves you right for latching so close onto an amateur rider! Well, at least those trails made me feel like one. Thanks again for the front-row tickets to the action, what a perfect way to close out the mtb season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you are saying about the trails. I would love the chance to get out there again.

    ReplyDelete