Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I want Walgreens to sponser my racing!

I love Walgreens. Why? Because when I first got into riding and racing I got pulled into buying a lot of things that advertised great results for cyclists. And after racing a few years I got tired of spending so much money on nutrition and the like. Especially when I wasn't seeing the "dramatic results" the products promised. Plus, experimenting with the products proved costly and I noticed that some things worked right away and then I found I couldn't count on them.

I then I started to eat real food during races, like the euros tend to. The problem was that while I could eat bagels, cream cheese, and jelly during a road race, it wasn't happening on the mtb. Which is what I do now. I wasn't sure what to do.

I was reading the blog of a great racer who was talking about talking gas station energy elixir near the end of his races when it hit me, "what else is out there not marketed for cyclist per se, but could still work?"

Off to Walgreens. The beauty of Walgreens is A: the price of the house brand, B: they are open all the time and are located everywhere, and C: the products are often intended for babies and the elderly, which is pretty much what I feel like during a race. So here are some things that I have found to work great from a company that should sponsor cyclists.
Top of the list is Faux-sure (pronounced fo-sho). This Walgreens version of ensure is the best pre, during, and post ride, or race drink that I have tried. It is easy on the stomach and gives what you need to keep on going, fo-sho.
Next, is the Walgreens version of pedialyte. Once again, great for before, during and after the ride or race. It is like super gatorade without the sugar. Keeps the cramps on lock-down.
Then there is ener-c, which is Walgreens emergen-c. A half a stick in a bottle of water/pedialyte will do you well at the end of a race.
Last has nothing to do with riding or racing per se, but the results of said activity. This powerful one two punch will take care of most saddle sore issues in a few days while still riding.

So, try 'em out. Anyone else have ways to save some money and get good results for the products used? Oh yeah, if you know someone who can hook up a Walgreens sponsorship, send 'em my way.

4 comments:

  1. Ashlors works for Walgreens as a manager, so maybe you should talk to Coarch! I have been making my own gu since BT Epic and it is super good, and 1/4 the cost of Hammer. Fill a hammer flask 1/2 way with Karo lite corn syrup, then add 1 tbsp of your favorite flavored syrup(I like the Santa Cruz organic chocolate), 1 cap full of Elete electolyte, and then fill the rest with H20. It is da bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like an interesting goo concoction. I'll have to try it out. I wonder if you can buy Karo syrup at Walgreens?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does walgreens carry any kind of pre-mashed potato?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait, isn't a pre-mashed potato a whole potato?
    Also, have you been putting mashed potatoes in your water bottle again for long rides?

    ReplyDelete