Monday, May 2, 2011

Change of plans but still according to plan

On Friday night, after I was all packed up and dropping Scooter off at my parents, I got a call from Matt saying that the Missouri weather was likely to cancel the race and that he was going to call it sooner than later. Meaning, people probably wouldn't come down on Saturday either. So instead of driving to MO to see a bunch of friends and ride some sweet trail in a Team Segal non-race, I stayed home.

This left me in a predicament, Lauren was out of town and I had already worked it out that I had off on Sunday, a rare thing in my line of work. The good thing was that the WORS Iola Bump and Jump was on Sunday and not too far away. The bad thing was that I was in no way prepared or motivated for such a race.

I was in the 4th line of our 120 something field at the start line and although Ron and I had talked about not going all out on the first lap and burning up our legs, I did. Well, maybe not all out, but definitely too hard. I still spent the next two laps working my way through riders who apparently went out even harder then I did and shouldn't have. In the last lap (my first last lap in a WORS race) it got nuts and I think I was passed by about 7 or 8 guys.

On the outside it looks like a horrible performance for me, but truthfully I am happy with it. There are a few factors going into it, but it boils down to this: on my google calendar on Sunday May 1st, it says "Begin Base". This year is just getting started for me and I hope to be strongest in October/November. We'll see what happens but yesterday was a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment