Monday, April 26, 2010

Brain Spill

The training for the race season goes well, although I wish we were into it already. Last week I actually felt strong at the trails, which has me guessing what gearing I should run for racing, but that will work itself out. That stuff has been on auto pilot, what I have been thinking about lately is living life to fullest.

This may get a bit too theological for some and I am working through it myself, which is partly why I write articles like this. The first thing anyone reading this has to remember is that I come from the foundation that Jesus is Lord, so where I end up may be quite different that you.

Like I said, I have been thinking about living life to the fullest, but perhaps not in the same way many people do. If you recall my article, "The problem with rules", you see my stance on Christianity is not one of maxims or moral code, rather it is Jesus healing the relationship between God and people. There may be a hiccup in that for many of you because A. all you know is the religious rules Christianity, or B. you have seen in scripture that it is clear that Jesus commands us to live certain ways.

It isn't a bait and switch and I still stand by what I said in the previous article, but "rules" do play a role in the Christian life. However, the "rules" are not a way for the church or even God to control people, instead the "rules" are guides in how to live life to the fullest. One act, whether it is doing or self-restriction, can open up facets of the human experience that we could not grasp otherwise.

I know, I know, that doesn't sound right in our culture of permission, but our culture isn't always right (no matter who you are, there are things you do not agree with that our culture perpetuates). This is getting really long, so I am going to put my reason for this conclusion as succinctly as possible and then perhaps unpack it at another time.

If Jesus can make our relationship right with God, we then need to know what that means for life. In other words, how do we interact with God and his creation(includes people) in a proper relationship with them? That is where the guides fill a role, they show us how to get the most out of life by living it the way it was intended.

I don't know, what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment