Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The problem with rules

Many religions if not all, focus on what the individual does to fall into line with said religion. In other words, it is about the rules.

The problem with rules is that anyone can make them up. What I mean by that is that a few of my atheist friends like to point out the failures of many Christians to have good morals and raise moral families, while they as atheist can do a great job of it. It is a point of truth with which that I cannot argue.

That is because anyone can follow rules, especially when they decide what rules are good and moral. A god can give an outline for rules, but it isn’t needed, which is why I believe my atheist friends make this argument. They are using the common atheist sociological argument that humans make up religions in order to control behavior. I can’t argue with that either.

However, Christianity is not a religion. At least not the way people commonly define religion as I said above. I know that many people are only exposed to the religion of Christianity, and that deeply saddens me, because it wholly misses the point, and we as the church have perpetuated it. The truth is, Christianity is about God repairing the relationship between creation and himself.

It has nothing to do with rules, other than the fact that every rule we follow we end up breaking, something with which I think my atheist friends would agree. It has everything to do with Jesus’ death and resurrection giving us grace, love, and forgiveness. Christianity isn’t a religion because it isn’t about a list of rules that we do, it is about the unending love of God repairing our relationship.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more, but I also feel that our generation has a much better outlook on religion/spirituality...well I at least like to think we do. Being an Atheist and a good friend of yours I can see that your truly are on mission to change the way we think regardless of our stance on religion/god/etc. You remind me a lot of my uncle Tim Dollan(Archbishop of NYC)He is in it for all the right reasons and he has changed so many lives...me included even if I don't share the same beliefs I still see the good in his and your mission. I have always said you don't have to believe in God to see that God exist within certain people, and when it shows itself in people like you I am glad I know you and that you are my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Matt, that means a lot. I'm also happy you are open to talk about things and learning more about life as it comes along.
    Every time I see your uncle I think that is how you are going to look in 25 years. You know, except instead of being draped in Archbishop robes you will be draped in a velour tracksuit, and possibly a Kangol.

    ReplyDelete